Friday 12 April 2013

Shellac 4.0 - failing yet again

Mixing up another batch, this time well-documented: 3no. bags 150 grams shellac flake to 3/4 C denatured alcohol (a nice mix of Metric and Imperial measures):
Starting with the first bag I let it sit on the radiator to fully melt into the alcohol and realized that the liquid could readily absorb more flake, so I continued to add the second and finally the third bag. I even did a bit of kitchen work, placing the white plastic container in a large bowl of hot tap water (bain marie) to help the melting process. Then it sat overnight to thoroughly disperse and let the bubbles dissipate.

As neither the rubber nor the polypropylene moulds worked, I realized that a breathable material would permit the alcohol's VOCs to evaporate - maybe paper? Having found these candy papers...
in a kitchen drawer here, I thought I would give them a try. The shellac, being such a high concentration of solids to liquids, was skinning over quite rapidly, so each pour was different. The batch would need stirring to re-melt the skin arising after each pour, creating more tiny bubbles. The shellac became thicker and thicker, until eventually the shellac hardly dripped off the spoon, and slowed to stiff sheet, requiring a good dunking back into the batch to remelt once again.
 Looks just like brownies or fudge!
Then carefully put away on a high shelf in my wardrobe for the night.

Today I realized that these papers are waxed (duh) so I am still not achieving evaporation. Also I recognized once again that the thick top skin also inhibits evaporation. Right now the shellac is dry to the touch, yet the liquid state beneath the skin is such that the volume shifts if tilted. Would probably splooge out if a finger pierced the top skin. Maybe I need to think about something that wants to stay liquid?

Next trial? perhaps many layers in the papers? Time to re-visit the shellac man for more flake.


No comments: