Tuesday 25 June 2013

Centre for Recent Drawing exhibition

Easy installation as my friend Christine helped me manage the huge drawings up to my old studio space. Each sheet weighs in at just over a kilogram, or over 2 1/4 lbs - 6 sheets are a floppy, unwieldy 6kg or 13+lbs. They had to be carried flat.

Arriving at the space we find Roisin, who manages the space, scrubbing the bathroom it to within an inch of its life, as promised:
 Very helpful interns Will and Michael looking at the chimney breast...
and measuring with the spirit level to get things relatively horizontal. Good thing it was them going up and down the ladder.
Jason Hicklin, my printmaking tutor, clued me into how to hang heavy sheets. The trick is to remove the springy bit of the clamp.
This leaves a very clean unobtrusive bit.
When I trialled this at home the paper was so heavy it kept slipping out of the clamp. What to do? Ah, a quick dig in my storage bins revealed a non-slip foam rubber matting, normally used for bar trays on which freshly washed glasses drain, and used in a prior work, Confessional .
Carefully trimmed to size and slipped within the clamp's jaws, the heavy sheets stay in place.

Tiny (1.5 mm diam) hardened steel headless nails I found in Paris five years ago are the perfect, albeit somewhat brittle, 'hook' upon which to hang the clamped drawings. And a final shot of Christine against the drawings for scale.
I didn't take enough shots of the installation process but here is the interview with Simon Wilson:

No comments: