Saturday 23 March 2013

And now for some kitchen art...

Filled one of the rubber feet with my special shellac mix, topped it with my peacock pigment, popped it in the oven at 50 deg C for an hour and, lo, it shrank to half the volume.
I finally dug out the still soft chunk of shellac today, and it resembles an unnatural piece of Turkish Delight.
But the pigment looked rather good on the black, so experimented with eggwhite and the other colours I'd mixed:
In a shop just beyond the pigment supplier were large bags of what I assumed to be thread waste. Julie thought it was what the plumbers used to pack and seal joints. But it looks wonderful I think.
Again, 5 TL for a half a bag, about the same size as four rolls of kitchen toweling. The threads are a mix of dull and glossy (natural cotton and poly I suppose), coiled, stretched, ragged, pulled, skeined, knotted, yet still so very clean. Perhaps from sail making? as these shops are adjacent to the chandlerys. 

No comments: